Saturday, January 3, 2009

Seeing God

So, about once a year I do some work on my blog, updating and such. I was noticing that in 2007 and 2008 I only posted 2 blogs each year. When reading my last entry in 2008, my heart fell and I broke down in tears. I decided to post what I wrote here and challenge all of us to strive this year to portray God according to His Word rather than our circumstances.

+++++++++++++

Posted by Robyn at http://breathe-rhemas-luv.blogspot.com/ Sept 2, 2008

Have you had an experience in your life that changed your perspective... forever? For me, that moment was when I had my children. Some may think it would be marriage, but with children, your every decision, word, and action directly effects their outcome. In a marriage, if one messes up, they go to their adult spouse, apologize, work it out, do whatever adults do and usually there isn't any permanent damage to either adult...b/c they're grown ups! They've learned how to deal with another person hurting him/her...hopefully :o). But with children...well, that's a whole other story!!

How many of you have seen a kid having a total breakdown in the middle of the grocery store? What comes to mind? "That woman needs to get a hold of her kid--teach them who's boss!" Hmmm, even thinking about moments like that makes my heart ache for that mom. Those moments are the hardest to be a parent. You try to do right by your kid yet try to discipline all the while the entire store has their eyes on you. What's a mom to do?

How we respond to our children (or for the childless, how we respond to others) in stressful moments, or to our spouse in stressful moments; how we speak to our children (and/or spouse) in tender moments are all presentations of who God is. How we present who God is either in word or deed has an eternal impact on our little ones.

Let me explain.

The Sisterhood of the Yada Yada Traveling Coffee Stains (graceandcoffeestains.blogspot.com) has been going through the book of Hosea and Redeeming Love. As we discussed last night, Sarah's view of God was shaped by her mom and the few men in her childhood. Her mom portrayed God as one who didn't listen to her cries, didn't "fix" her broken heart, and who was a punisher for "things" done wrong. The men, well, we'll save that for another day.

The only God Sarah was privy to was the God portrayed in Nahum 1:2 "The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD takes vengeance and is filled with wrath. The LORD takes vengeance on his foes and maintains his wrath against his enemies."

She never had the opportunity to see the God of Isaiah (Isa 43:1-5 "But now, this is what the LORD says..."Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine...Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you...Do not be afraid, for I am with you.")

or of David (Psalm 146:9 "The LORD watches over the alien and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.").

She never saw the love that is always forgiving, always redeeming, never crushing.

So my question to you is, what side of God are you portraying? We as Christians know that God is the Judge sitting on the throne casting judgment and, yes, condemnation to those who have denied Him. However, we also know that this isn't the only side of God. We must be careful not to live our lives portraying only this side of Him. We must live our lives portraying the grace, mercy, and unfailing love of God.

Our constant complaining and negative attitude doesn't portray the loving character of God, does it? See, for me, what I say and do, how I react in a split moment in front of or directed to my kids, is shaping their view of God. I desperately want them to be keenly aware of sin and the damage it does to our lives. B-U-T!!! I don't want God to be the Big Bad God coming down to punish them for their little kid sin. I want them to develop a healthy fear of God. I want Him to be a Guest at the dinner table when we eat mac & cheese, a Comforter in the midst of nightmares, a Cheerleader when they "get it," a Parent in times of discipline and a Daddy spilling out unfailing love and forgiveness for their little kid sins.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with mom vision. I worry so much about the impact I'm having on their lives, when really, I'm the one who's being impacted by their lives. Continue to remind me to step out of the way and You be You...reminding me that I am me, not You. Thank you for loving me enough.

+++++++++++


(Can you tell I'm getting stoked about being with you all again?!?!)

No comments: