Sunday, January 25, 2009

Shame and glory

Hosea 4 - 5:14
A judgment against Israel.

For every judgment against Israel, there is salvation, there is grace. For the judgments of Hosea 4 – 5:14, God saves in 5:15-6:3.
We’ve talked a lot in the last few months about harlotry and idolatry. Gomer was a harlot, Angel was a harlot. Both turned to their idols seeking salvation (Gomer to her men, Angel to Michael), but in the end were shown that God alone is salvation. They had to have things removed, they had to be hedged in to be set free.
Here, in Hosea 4 & 5, we see more of the same. God lays his case against Israel, including against its priests. They did not only turn from Him and His commandments, they turned to others for salvation, for knowledge, for fulfillment, for worship (4:11-14), for protection. (5:13) (cf, 2 kings 15:19-20)
God likens Himself again to Israel’s husband (Hosea 5:7, amplified), magnifying the fact that Israel is not only doing stupid things, she is cheating on the One who loves her.

1-3 No one is faithful, and there are consequences.
What are the consequences of your sin? What are things that may not even be punishments, just ripple effects?
Do you see how sin affects more than just you?


4-10 Blame the priests.
First off, God is furious with the priests and prophets of Israel. They are the ones who have played Pied Piper here. God says they “stumble in the daytime.” They have the lamp for their feet and the light for their path, but they also fumble around in broad daylight!
“My people are ruined because they don’t know what’s right or true.”
“You’ve turned your back on knowledge”
“You’ve traded your glory for shame.”
How shameful it is when the people of God falter. How many headlines have been marked by “Rev. so-and-so” stealing or lying or cheating? And it burns those of us who call ourselves Christians.
There is much consequence for those who are instructed to instruct in the ways of God yet do not do it.
We know that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, and yet we are also encouraged to do the best with what knowledge we have. We are quite often the “spiritual leaders” in relationships, are we not? I would venture to say that all of you have a friend who looks up to you, a child, a coworker.
They are constantly seeking your guidance, right? What are you doing with that information? Are you leading them astray? Are you a stumbling block? This is a mighty challenge.
The priests here had a special responsibility because they knew the Word of God. The people did not have Bibles on every coffee table. They looked to the priests and prophets to hear Him.
Let us not trade glory for shame (4:7).

4:9 Like people, like priest

It’s not just priests who will be held accountable. Just because the priests misled them, the people are not getting off scot-free. They still chose to do things they knew went against God.
This is a huge admonition: It is not up to Pastor Edwin or Pastor Skip to make sure you know God’s Word or to hold your hand to keep you from straying into the wilderness. You know when something is flat-out adultery or idolatry, and there is consequence for that.
4:11-14
Israel had turned to idol worship. They worshiped their own bodies, they made sacrifices to false gods. And they gave in to the idolatry that permeated other nations. They had sex temples and gave their wives and daughters over to them, then went and slept around with others.

4:15-19 Don’t drag down Judah
Israel is warned not to drag others into its sin. And it is also told that other places won’t save it: Gilgal is where (in Josh 5:9), God says He has “rolled away His reproach of Egypt on you.” In Gilgal, the Israelites celebrated with feast, circumcision, prayer and Passover the end of their 450 years of Egyptian slavery. Instead, God warns that reproach is coming.
Beth-Aven is a play on words, a reference to Bethel. “Bethel” means “House of God.” But because Jeroboam 1 set up a golden calf (1 Kings 12:28-29), Hosea calls it “Beth Aven,” or “House of Sin” or “House of Deceit.”
This goes back to those ripple effects that we talked about. Israel turned to idols and left itself defenseless, naked. But what about Judah, who was not caving so easily? Their border is rotting away or watched by drunken whores.
Who is watching as we parade our idols around? And where will we turn when hurt sets in?


5:1-5 The sins of harlotry and pride
God here shows them that their harlotry has brought them nothing. Instead, they are stuck deep in corruption and are being slaughtered. They are defiling the whole nation, not just themselves.
What does their pride get them? They are stumbling and guilty.

5:6 Sacrifice without faith
These people sacrifice and say all the right words but God is not listening. He’s looking for something else entirely. (Psalm 51:16-17)

5:9-11 A warning
Assyrians eventually come in and trample through, destroying the lands and people. The Israelites have left themselves totally defenseless, relying on every other thing under the sun except God, who has saved them time and time again. (cf, 2 Kings 15 and 16, and 2 Chronicles 26-27) Israel had time and time again turned to the Assyrians for protection, yet it is those “protectors” that come through and destroy it.
Those things that we replace God with are the things that will eat us alive. They cannot give us fulfillment, they cannot give us security.
What are the things you have replaced God with?


5:1-14 Consequences
These people were being eaten by moths and decay. Dry rot eats from the inside out, making wood weak but appearing strong.
When you abandon the Lord for other lovers, you feel it don’t you?
What does that inner decay feel like? And why do we choose it?


Homework
If you believe that God wants you in church, then how much is enough?
If you believe God wants your prayers, then how much is enough?
If you believe God wants you to do something, then how do you know when you’ve met that requirement?
What we need to understand is that God wants just you. All of you. He wants you from the inside out, not the other way around. Relationship, not sacrifice. He wants love, not merely adherence to law.
Find verses about sacrifice, and choose one to memorize. WE WILL HAVE SHOW AND TELL NEXT WEEK. Give us the verse, and tell us why you chose it. What does God really want from you, and are you giving it to Him? It’s got to be more than words, more than deeds. It’s got to be all of you.
Let us not trade our glory for shame.

5 comments:

erinss01 said...

I am giving you my verse on here for I am not able to attend the study. I still want to stay connected so here it goes.

Matthew 6:33-34,
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

I chose this verse because I know that God doesn't want me to worry so much about what I can't control. I strive every day to put my faith in God and pray His will be done for my life. I am in His hands. I hope that one day I can even begin to understand what it takes to be holy in His eyes. Even though He already sees us that way! We are His children and slice it any way you want but that is huge shoes to fill.

I do not go on and on in my prayers for the wants of my own, there are those, but I do pray for the needs and the blessings for others. I believe we can never pray enough. We can never praise Him enough for what He has done in our lives, the good and the outcomes that we don't expect. It is all about Him and our "forever" relationship with Him. That's a hard lesson to learn or thought to process at times. Everything is His including me!

Yes, I have sins in my past that girls, I can't even begin to talk about. I know we all do! Each one of us has a past that we need to ask forgiveness for. What is hard for me at times, is believing that I have been forgiven by Him.

My son sings to me every day, and you know what song he sings? "Jesus love me this I know, for the Bible tells me so!" Jarin loves that song. How can I not believe that God loves me when I hear that sweet little voice telling me that He does?

I am almost 30 years old and it is still amazing to me that we have been saved by HIM! I am sure that you all can relate. It is humbling!
Take care my friends.
Love to all and to all a good night!
E

Kelly R. said...

Erin,

It's so awesome to hear from you on the blog. I miss you girls everyday and I WILL get out there at some point to visit.

I just want to address something you said. I wish we could sit down over coffee so I could explain to you the journey I have had over one little phrase. You said you hope to one day understand "what it takes to be holy in His eyes." And that He "already sees us this way." And we are taught that "God sees us as Holy" but that is not true.

See, to say that God sees us as Holy is to imply that his vision is skewed. God may see me as Holy just as my mom sees me as perfect or my grandmother sees me as capable of being the first woman president (I assure you I am neither) God dosen't see you as holy Erin....YOU ARE HOLY. Christ's death & resurrection, and your acceptance of His atonement makes you HOLY...Unalterably, irrevocably HOLY!

I wrote and entire blog about this topic at the end of my journey/struggle over holiness last summer. It's called GOOD NEWS. I'd encourage you to read it. I go into the scriptural defense of what I'm telling you...that YOU ARE HOLY....not that God just sees you as that. Also, you should read THE SEARCH FOR SIGNIFICANCE, which is the book that brought my journey to a conclusion and gave me so much freedom in that area it's not even funny.

I LOVE YOU GIRL!!! YOU ARE HOLY BECAUSE CHRIST HAS MADE YOU SO. EMBRACE THAT!!!! Know that where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom! And get your butt back to Bible Study next week!!!

Kelly R. said...

The blog entry is actually called WHAT A MESSAGE and is logged in my June archives

erinss01 said...

Thank you Kelly! Sometimes It is really heart warming to be reminded of things sometimes forgotten. I have read your past blog several times. It is still amazing to. May God keep you and Jason safe and take care. When are you coming back? Love ya!

Robyn said...

Since I couldn't go to Study either, I thought I'd take Erin's lead and put my verse on here, too.

2 Cor 12:7-10 I'm going to post the NASB version AND the Amplified version.

NASB--Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself!

8 Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.

9 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness" Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.


Amplified:
7 And to keep me from being puffed up and too much elated by the exceeding greatness of these revelations, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to rack and buffet and harass me, to keep me from being excessively exalted.

8 Three times I called upon the Lord and besought Him about this and begged that it might depart from me;

9 But He said to me, My grace is enough for you--sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully; for My strength and power are made perfect and show themselves most effective in your weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ may rest upon me!

10 So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak in human strength, then am I truly strong in divine strength.

++++++

This verse has been my favorite verse for YEARS! It's had such importance in my life. However, here lately, it has become more real, more alive to me than ever before.

I've always rejoiced at those thorns in my life because somehow I was always able to see the beauty in the pain they brought me. I was always able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and the maturity hoped for as a result of the thorns.

But this time. This time I'm not so sure. I have the biggest thorn in my life....the biggest I've ever had to deal with. I've asked and asked and asked the Lord to take it from me. I've BEGGED Him. But the answer is always the same.

"No."

I love the Amplified version of vs 7 when Paul says the thorn harrasses him. That's exactly how I feel!!

So my sacrifice has been to die to myself not just everyday, but here lately it's every MOMENT. Do I have victory in this. Nope. Do I still beg the Lord to remove this from me. Yep. What's really hard for me, in addition to facing this situation everyday, is knowing that the faith that used to come so easily hasn't been so easy. I so want to "glory in my weaknesses and infirmities," but as the verse says, "my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak."

So, to answer the question "am I giving God what He wants?" No, I'm not. And that breaks my heart that I'm not able to. This is my wilderness, I guess. I keep stepping on those thorny bushes! ;o)